Sewing: Alice top from Tessuti Fabrics

I’ve only been sewing for a few months, and started by taking two different classes at Workshop in San Francisco: one on sewing machine basics, and one on introduction garment making.

After that, I started trying out sewing from patterns on my own with this book, “Love at First Stitch: Demystifying Dressmaking.”ย This book is great because it walks you through everything you need to know for learning to sew, starting with machine basics. It includes several patterns with detailed instructions, each with increasing difficulty so you can begin to build skills. After making a headband and pajama pants from the book, I decided to try out a pattern on my own, the Alice top pattern from Tessuti Fabrics.

Being a pretty novice sewer, there were some parts of this pattern that were difficulty for me, including the yoke (which had 2 layers), the gathering in the front and back, and the armhole bands that had to be sewn in. Luckily, my mom was able to help me with the hardest parts the first time around with the yellow eyelet fabric I used to “practice” this pattern, before using the seersucker I had originally bought for this pattern. But it turned out great, even for a “practice”!

Yellow eyelet topYellow top_flat lay

And now I just finished up the same Alice top, using seersucker this time:

Seersucker topSeersucker top_flat lay

Next project: making the dress from this same pattern, and then adding some embroidery on it (after I take an embroidery class at Workshop)!

Waffle knit hat <3

I’ve been knitting for about 8 months now, and with each new project I’m learning new skills. Learning how to knit a hat sounded intimidating at first since it involves double-pointed needles, but with a little patience and practice I’ve mastered it!

I decided to go with this bulky waffle hat pattern on Ravelry. As usual, I got my yarn from Imagiknit in San Francisco ๐Ÿ™‚ I chose an off-white yarn that required the same size needles mentioned in the pattern, US 10 (circular and double-pointed).

As the pattern calls for, I did a 2 x 2 rib stitch for about 2 inches, and then a waffle stitch until the piece from the cast on edge measured about 7 inches. Then I started shaping the crown (with double-pointed needles)!

Shaping the crown
Shaping the crown

And soon enough…

Bulky waffle knit hat
Bulky waffle knit hat

…the finished product!

I decided to fold up the brim of the hat, otherwise it’s too long to wear unless it slouches a little at the top. Still looks cute though ๐Ÿ™‚