I got some more practice with neckline and armhole binding with this pattern. The pattern also linked to a tutorial for joining bias binding but for some reason it just was not computing in my head, so I fudged it a little bit and improvised joining the binding ends together. It’s a little messy but it’s at the bottom of the armhole anyway 🙂 I could still use some more practice with binding…one of the armholes on my dress sticks out a bit.
I also love the keyhole back opening on this dress. It got a little bunched up going around the bottom, but still looks cute!
This dress also looks great styled in different days. The other day it was overcast and chilly, so I wore it with black tights, tall black boots, and my asymmetrical zip black moto jacket. Also looks good with a jean jacket, or with my beige ankle buckle flats. So many ways to wear this!
I don’t think I will ever get tired of talking about how cute the Arielle skirt from Tilly and the Buttons is. SO CUTE. Such a flattering shape and actually pretty simple to sew.
I got this beautiful dark denim from Britex Fabrics at Union Square in San Francisco. I love how easy it is to sew with thick, sturdy fabric like this. It doesn’t move around as much so it’s easy to control as you sew.
This was also my first time sewing buttonholes! My machine came with a plastic buttonhole foot that is a bit clunky and makes it hard to see the line you’re sewing. It went fine but could use some more practice. I love the big (brass?) buttons I chose for this skirt! My partner’s mother had a collection of buttons sitting around, so I took some home over the holidays and was looking for the perfect project for them.
The Arielle skirt has an optional lining, but I decided to keep it simple and skip it. The denim I used is so thick and sturdy anyway, that is hangs nicely without a lining.
I finished this skirt fairly quickly and was ready to photograph before I knew it. One little oopsies with the photos…I was wearing the skirt on the wrong side! Buttons should be on my left 🙂 I was wondering why the button flap was sort of gaping between the buttons. Looks even cuter when worn correctly!
I’m planning to do another Arielle skirt soon…this time in a kelly green cotton twill with a cute floral lining! Buttons TBD… 🙂
I found this lovely kelly green printed silk at Fabric Outlet in the Mission and thought it would be perfect for the Mimi blouse in Tilly and the Buttons’ Love at First Stitch , but I didn’t have the pattern with me at the time. I thought a yard would be plenty but it was way short of what the pattern called for.
It took some digging to find a pattern that was a good fit, but eventually I found the Ella top from Liola Patterns. It’s a pretty simple pattern, but I had several firsts with this: darts, pleats, and neckline and armhole binding. Not to mention the patience it took sewing with slippery silk. Precise cutting is really important with the binding, and it’s tricky with silk. I read somewhere that a rotary cutter is helpful, so I’ll plan to do that next time.
The darts and pleats were pretty straightforward, and I was happy how they turned out. Binding could have been better though. I think I gave the neckline binding slightly too much slack, and it hangs down a bit in the front. And I was a little sloppy sewing on one of the armhole bindings when I was like “Get it done, get it done!”…BUT it is still pretty cute 🙂
It’s been a little while since I’ve posted, but I’ve been hard at work 🙂
A couple months back I finished the Clémence skirt from Tilly and the Buttons’ book Love at First Stitch. This was my first attempt at zippers! The pattern calls for an invisible zipper, and turns out that sewing an invisible zipper is not just a method of sewing, but also requires a different zipper foot and different zipper altogether. Woops!
But once I was so close to finishing the skirt I just HAD to get it done and was not about to put it off for another day, buy and figure out the new zipper and foot, so I ended up with a sort of hybrid zipper…a regular zipper sewn as an invisible zipper. But whatever, it works!
Other than, my only challenge was getting the inside of the waistband to cover the gathered seam from the skirt. Wasn’t the greatest, but at least it’s hidden inside.
My second invisible zipper attempt with Colette Patterns’ Zinnia skirt, and I’m happy to say it went much better this time! I nearly pulled my hair out trying to figure out how to use the (plastic!) invisible zipper foot, but several deep breaths and hours later, I got it working :).
I used version 3 of the Zinnia skirt, which has instructions for lining. This was also my first time sewing a lining! I was inspired by Colette’s post of sewing with eyelets and decided to give it a try. I found this beautiful eyelet/lace-ish fabric at a small fabric store on Clement Street in San Francisco and absolutely fell in love!
And the last important lesson learned here…ALWAYS transfer the pattern markings right away, especially with pleats! I am always lazy with this and turns out it’s best to just do it right away, and NOT after starting to sew the pieces together. I also should not have used ballpoint pen (HA!) for the markings. Since the only other marking utensil I had was white tailor’s chalk, it just seemed like the next easiest thing…luckily I bought a bleach gel pen which was able to get out most of the pen markings. But it’s still faintly there if you look closely :/ Never again!
I now have solid practice with zippers and lining! 🙂