My Third Arielle Skirt from Tilly and the Buttons–Fall Edition

I just can’t get enough of the Arielle skirt from Tilly and the Buttons. So I made my third version to be a great staple for fall 🙂 I used a medium weight rust-colored corduroy from Fabric.com. It was actually leftover from a dress I’d made for a friend last year, so it worked out even better!

IMG_1539

This skirt is just such a flattering fit that it’s hard to resist. And I didn’t do a lining on this version so it hardly took any time at all.

I made a denim mini Arielle with brass buttons for my first version and I liked it overall, but it’s always felt slightly too big and I wasn’t sure what to do about it. But with the corduroy one I just made, I was careful when marking the spots for the button placements. The pattern recommends putting the skirt on and marking a spot for the buttons through the buttonhole opening, and while I did do that the first time around, I didn’t have the skirt on very snugly, so it ended up feeling a little loose. But this time, I made sure I held the skirt on very snugly while marking for the buttons, and it fits like a glove 🙂

Can’t wait to wear this with all sorts of cute Fall outfits!

IMG_1544 IMG_1541

Oh yea and I didn’t post about my second Arielle skirt, so here it is! I made this one with a kelly green cotton twill from Fabric.com, and had a cute floral lining to go with it. Didn’t have the sizing issue I had with my denim version.

IMG_9766 IMG_9757 IMG_9756

Highlands Wrap Dress by Allie Olsen

I loved this pattern so much that I just had to make two 🙂

The first version I made was a short-sleeved maxi, using a lightweight cotton from Sew Over It. They have the best fabric!

I love the side slits on this dress and the buttons that fasten on the side so it’s not just the ties that hold it together. Perfect summer dress!

This version was mostly smooth sailing, but the waist band for the elastic ended up a little bit more narrow than it should have been, so I had to use a more narrow elastic band so it’d fit in.

I also had a little trouble matching up the side seams of the front and back pieces with the waist band since it was my first time working with elastic, and there’s a little piece of the seam sticking out on one side :/

Yellow short-sleeved maxi :)
Yellow short-sleeved maxi 🙂

The second version I made was a sleeveless midi version, with another lightweight cotton from Sew Over It.

Had no trouble with the waist band this time, woo! I was even able to make the waist slightly more fitted than the previous version I’d made, so the neckline fits a little more snugly and I think is more flattering on me.

Where I did have trouble was with the armbands! I was really trying to rush and get it done so felt really frustrated when I couldn’t get it right. I ended up with armbands that look more like ruffle sleeves. I was annoyed at first but actually think it looks pretty cute as is. Oh well!

Sleeveless midi version
Sleeveless midi version

Polka Dot Bolero by Wendy Bernard

Well I am LONG overdue for some blog updates, so here we go! Prepare for a slew of new posts today 🙂

I got the pattern for this Polka Dot Bolero  from Up, Down, All-Around Stitch Dictionary, one of my first knitting book purchases. I bought it as a new knitter to help me learn some new stitches, but I was head over heels in love with this bolero as soon as I saw it. But it was way too advanced for me at that point, so I waited for just the right time. After I made my first sweater over the holidays, I decided to give this one a go 🙂

The beginnings :)
The beginnings 🙂

This was such a joy to make! I loved the top-down construction and I used the suggested Blue Sky Fibers Melange and loved that also. It was my first time working with Sport Weight yarn and it took a bit of practice, but really enjoyed it once I got the hang of it. It’s so soft! I’m totally a sucker for baby alpaca wool <3

The best kind of Saturday :)
The best kind of Saturday 🙂

I had to size up in needles as I’ve learned that I’m a tight knitter, so I do that with just about every pattern now.

The only trouble I really had was a misread of the directions that ended up making the wrap way shorter than it was supposed to have been. I think it was a part in the pattern that called for an increase on every other right side row and I thought at first it mean to increase on every right side row, as is typical, but it also sounded like not every right side row, but every other. I tried looking at the finished length of the garment and it looked like the shorter version was the way to go. But…I was wrong. So I finished the whole thing and everything and even wore it to work and it kept riding up on me. I was in denial for a little bit but it just didn’t feel right. So I took off the waist tie, undid the cast off edge, and added about 2 more inches to it and felt MUCH more comfortable with the length.

Making progress...
Making progress…

Then of course, I had to add to the finishing of the front edge and at the moment when I just HAD to get it done I didn’t have the smaller needle size with me, so there’s a teeny portion on the front edge that’s slightly bigger stitching than the rest. *Sigh*

Still love this though and wear it so often and get so many compliments when I do 🙂 It’s also a great beginning sweater project since it’s so short.

Love love love so much!
Love love love so much!