Sewing with Silk: Ella top from Liola Patterns

I found this lovely kelly green printed silk at Fabric Outlet in the Mission and thought it would be perfect for the Mimi blouse in Tilly and the Buttons’ Love at First Stitch , but I didn’t have the pattern with me at the time. I thought a yard would be plenty but it was way short of what the pattern called for.

It took some digging to find a pattern that was a good fit, but eventually I found the Ella top from Liola Patterns. It’s a pretty simple pattern, but I had several firsts with this: darts, pleats, and neckline and armhole binding. Not to mention the patience it took sewing with slippery silk. Precise cutting is really important with the binding, and it’s tricky with silk. I read somewhere that a rotary cutter is helpful, so I’ll plan to do that next time.

IMG_9081 IMG_9082

The darts and pleats were pretty straightforward, and I was happy how they turned out. Binding could have been better though. I think I gave the neckline binding slightly too much slack, and it hangs down a bit in the front. And I was a little sloppy sewing on one of the armhole bindings when I was like “Get it done, get it done!”…BUT it is still pretty cute 🙂

Close up of Ella top :)
Close up of Ella top 🙂

IMG_9086 IMG_9087

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *